If you’ve never done the study (Knowing and Doing The Will Of God), I highly recommend it! I completed it about 15 years ago, and it impacted me. I’ve been working on it the past couple of months, and it’s impacted me even more. This time, He prompted me to start work on this study BEFORE I started another project He’s called me to do. And I understand why. You are Good, Lord!
I’ll admit that not everything in this study have been easy things to hear & understand. In fact, I didn’t particularly care nor like some of them. But I know that it’s all Truth…… God will definitely talk to you during this study no matter where you are in your journey with Him. I believe that.
I love that Blackaby & Claude V. King began with some basics that are vital to know & believe before we can do any Kingdom work, such as God pursues a love relationship with us.
Below are the Seven Realities of Experiencing God that Blackaby expounds on in the workbook, These were so powerful to me! I’ll write in maroon what I got out of each so far.
- God is always at work around you. Awesome to know that He never sleeps, never is at rest, always is working to accomplish His purposes…even when we don’t realize it or it doesn’t seem that way. And sometimes it doesn’t seem that way because His purposes and ways are NOT OURS.
- God pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real & personal. I‘m so grateful that He PURSUES me. He’s the “HOUND OF HEAVEN.” And, in His patience, grace and mercy, He’s teaching me that He LOVES me. That He LOVES me. That He LOVES me. (that bears repeating over & over…He knows I NEED that repetition until I believe it with all my heart & soul. He’s also is gracious enough to keep showing me that He is trustworthy.
- God invites you to become involved with Him in His work. I’m going to highlight the word INVITE here. What a HUGE epiphany this was…instead of thinking what I can DO FOR HIM (and feeling in my heart that I usually fail Him) and/or viewing what He wants me to do as a chore or too hard or too inconvenient, etc. He REVEALS what He is going to do. That revelation becomes an INVITATION to join Him! And that it is NOT MINE to accomplish but His! He will do/accomplish His work with or without me, but I would miss out on a blessing if I don’t join Him! This was HUGE! HUGE! Such a fresh perspective for me.
- God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes, and His ways. I’ve written many times about how God has spoken to me. My GC’s…and He is soooo good to confirm with me….when I doubt I’m hearing Him or doubt I can do what He asks or even when I “don’t want to.” He’s persistent. “Every experience must be controlled & understood by the Scriptures.” So thankfully, He almost always gives me Scripture in one of these confirmations/GC’s.
- God’s invitation for you to work with Him always leads you to a crisis of belief that requires faith & action. This one really got to me. Sometimes I’m hesitant because I just can’t see how/why/when, etc. I either try to rush it or deny it because I don’t feel ready or capable (yes, I know….that goes back to #3) or something. One of the statements in the workbook was “Do not assume that the moment He calls you that you are ready for the assignment. (emphasis mine) That was a relief because it’s something I’ve felt – that I’ve failed Him. That I’ve waited too long or ignored His voice, etc. But at the same time, this is hard because it also said He was “developing my character to match the assignment He has for me.” And that always sends me back to my fall-back reaction – “What if developing my characters means something BAD will happen in my life?” Which #2 addresses!
- You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing. I just started working on this one right now. I’ll admit that I don’t like the sound of it. HA! I’ll let you know how it goes…
- You come to know God by experience as you obey Him & He accomplishes His work through you. This part sounds awesome!