Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, “Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the Lord swore to their ancestors to give them,and you must divide it among them as their inheritance. The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid;do not be discouraged,for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Here I am again. I have such an affinity for this story…and for these verses, among other Do Not Fear verses. Time & time again, I am brought here. During this time and this one and this one and SO MANY MORE that I haven’t written about on this blog.
But this time was a little different. This time was less on the Do Not Fear and more on the I AM WITH YOU!
This was our message at church on Sunday. Our church is preparing to move into a permanent facility next month. This was about crossing the river.
This message had lots layers for me. For our church body. For me within the church body. For me personally. Kinda like onions and the ogre Shrek. I’ve begun peeling back some of the layers.
- I’m totally comforted by the fact that God told not only Moses, but Joshua OVER AND OVER that He was with him. Makes me feel like less of a loser that God has to tell me OVER AND OVER.
- I’ve always concentrated MORE on the Do Not Fear’s – His comfort – because that was what I NEEDED to hear, even though I knew He was WITH me. But now I can look back and see more clearly and feel blessed that He was.
- God goes BEFORE us…He PREPARES the way well before we have to cross the river.
- And when He has gone before us, we will succeed in whatever He has planned for us.
- But He puts the little word “THEN” in His promise. If we keep His WORD in our hearts – if we obey and follow what He says in His Word, THEN things will work out because He is with us.
And now, a song that reminds us of His continual presence…..even in the hard times.