So do you.
We all know people who are dying.
This past Sunday before the worship team prayed for the service, our pastor said (badly paraphrased) “Let’s pray for the people we need to reach. They are all dying, you know.”
That hit me like a ton of bricks. I tried to pray out loud, but I was crying too much. The word “undone” keeps popping up in my world lately, and it describes that moment perfectly. I was UNDONE.
It keeps resonating in my head, in my heart. THEY’RE DYING. They’re dying, and I have the Medicine that could save their lives! Why am I withholding it from them, Jesus? WHY?
I have all kinds of excuses:
- I’m not good at that. (What? Talking? You certainly do enough of it. I think you can handle it.)
- People won’t listen to me. (You should be used to that. You have kids. My Children don’t always listen to Me either, but that doesn’t mean I stop trying to talk to them, does it?)
- I’ll show You by the way I live. (Really, Chrystal?…Oh yeah, sorry, Lord. I blow it a lot, don’t I?…I always forgive you.)
- I can’t say the things I want to say very well.(My friend Moses said that, too. I spoke for him. Why do you doubt I will speak for you?)
- I won’t know how to answer their questions.(I gave you an Instruction Manual.)
- I’m scared.(My child, how many Do Not Fear’s and I AM With You’s do I need to give you?)
- What will people think of me? (I was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. But I did this because I love you. Can’t you love Me enough to risk someone’s negative opinion of you?)
My child, may I point out something to you? What word do you keep seeing in those excuses?
I see one of the smallest words in the English language – “I” – small and weak in every way. And that’s the crux. It’s all about me. Please forgive me, Jesus. I don’t want it to be about me any longer.
Listen here when Penn Jillette, an atheist who says he KNOWS there is no God, talks about a Christian man who came up to him after a show. “How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible & not tell them that? If I believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that a truck was going to hit you & you didn’t believe it, there’s a certain point where I tackle you….and this is more important than that.”
That video totally makes me feel like such a loser.
Jesus, please open my eyes and heart to those who are dying. Keep that phrase THEY ARE DYING as powerful as it was the first time I heard it. Give me whatever it is that I need to tell them Your Good News. Amen.